Historical awareness builds perceptions of the connectedness of things, of past, present and future. The notion of relics is considered and expanded for artistic purposes, which can be truly contemporary for new conceptions beyond a physical state. In developing this topic, the programme will emphasise the ideal of relics in digital space. We will look at how media-generated digital clips (e.g. police videos of the deaths of Rodney King and George Floyd; internet MEMES) have become artifacts or relics forming the basis of new narratives in today’s global society. Has the ideal of the local vernacular, or of indigenous culture, become more diminished in light of these digital events? Participants will be able to discuss these questions and others with various artists, curators and cultural agents from diverse backgrounds, to gain insight into how they perceive such phenomena.
Art of the Gap will include talks with artists, musicians and other cultural agents, as well as studio visits and workshops. Participants will not only be exposed to course inputs, but will be able to shape and articulate the topic in their own practice. The resulting works will be exhibited at an artist space in Berlin.
• Conceptualizing and fabrication skills
• Discussing media and digitality
• Understanding new concepts, forms of research, modes of analysis and making techniques
5 – 19 July 2021
The programme offers places to 25 students from the participating partner institutions from a wide range of arts and design disciplines, including performing arts, film, music, fine arts, media arts, design, and art education.
• Proficient in English
• Level: BA, MA, MPhil, PhD
• Disciplines: all arts and design disciplines
• Brief statement (max 1 page): What is your background? What are your interests? What perspectives would you bring to the workshop? What do you expect from the workshop?
• Portfolio: A work sample related to the aims and contents of the Summer School (pdf, video or sound file)
Awarded as stipulated by the home institution
• No course fee for students from Shared Campus partner institutions
• Submission deadline: 30 APRIL 2021
• Online application (incl. submission of documents):
• Participants will be selected by the responsible faculty
• Final confirmation of participation: MID MAY 2021
Associate Professor (ZHdK)
Chi Wo Warren LEUNG
Associate Professor (SCM)
Art of the Gap Group Show - Life Streaming from Berlin